NOTE: I gathered the following information from various sites supporting this candidate. If you wish to see something shorter (albeit containing limited info), GMA Network has a brief summary of the track record of all the candidates, which you can find by clicking here. The Philippine Star also has detailed profiles for each candidate, and you’ll find their feature on Duterte here.
Davao Mayor (1988-1998, 2001-2010, 2013-)
Mayor Rody served as Davao City Prosecutor from 1977 to 1986. After the first People Power Revolt against the Marcos dictatorship and upon the installation of the new government under President Corazon C. Aquino, he was appointed Vice-Mayor (Officer-in-Charge) from 1986 to 1987.
Mayor Rody was first elected City Mayor of Davao in 1988, and was re-elected to serve another two consecutive terms, making him the city’s longest-serving Mayor.
Mayor Rody was not only all about restoring order. His three terms revolved around the following holistic and comprehensive development thrusts:
- 1988 to 1992 RESTORING ORDER AND ORGANIZING THE CITY GOVERNMENT
- 1992 to 1995 SETTING CLEAR DEVELOPMENT DIRECTIONS AND COMPREHENSIVE PLANNING
- 1995 to 1998 GOING GLOBAL AND INTEGRATING GENDER AND DEVELOPMENT
Constitutional limits in the term of office have prevented Mayor Rody from serving as Davao City Mayor from 1998 to 2001. However, he has continued to serve the City as its Representative for the First District of Davao City in the 11th Congress.
His comeback as Mayor in 2001 effectively made it his fourth term (2001 to 2004) as Mayor of Davao City and his priorities have revolved around SUPPRESSING CRIME AND CARING FOR THE POOR AND THE ENVIRONMENT.
Mayor Rody was reelected for his fifth term as Mayor in 2004 by a landslide, with a margin of 152,000 votes from his closest rival the widest in the history of Davao City’s local elections. It was a fresh mandate for Mayor Rody’s Administration as he pursued another three years (2004 to 2007) anchored on BUILDING PHYSICAL AND SOCIAL INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT.
He was reelected in 2007, ran and won as Vice Mayor in 2010, and was again elected Mayor in 2013.
I lifted these infographic summaries from the website of the Rodrigo “Digong” Duterte for President Movement:
Prominent local policies/programs implemented:
- The City Council amended ordinance No. 1627, Series of 1994, to impose a prohibition on selling, serving, drinking and consuming alcoholic beverages from 01:00 until 08:00 each morning.
- Executive Order No. 39, reducing the speed limits for all kinds of motor vehicles within the territorial jurisdiction of Davao City in the interest of public safety and order.
- Executive Order No. 04, Series of 2013, creating the implementing rules and regulations for the new comprehensive anti-smoking ordinance no. 0367-12, Series of 2012.
- Davao City’s Firecracker Ban, through ordinance No. 060-02/1406-02, Series of 2002.
- Procurement of 10 more ambulances for central 911 intended for medical emergencies and 42 mobile patrol vehicles and motorcycles for the Davao City Police Office (the first and only 9-1-1 emergency telephone number in Asia).
- Executive Order No. 24, ordering all shopping malls and commercial centers to install, operate and maintain high end and high definition closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras at all entrance and exit points of their premises.
- The city’s Women’s Development Code, which aims “to uphold the rights of women and the belief in their worth and dignity as human beings” and pushed for the Magna Carta for Women in Davao. It is a comprehensive women’s human rights law that seeks to eliminate discrimination against women. This law recognizes, protects, fulfills, and promotes the rights of Filipino women.
Davao City Awards and Citations:
- ONE OF THE 20 MOST LIVABLE CITIES IN ASIA
In the annual survey made by Asiaweek on the 40 Best cities in Asia, Davao City has unfailingly made it to the top for four consecutive years (1996-1999).
- THE PHILIPPINES’ MOST LIVABLE CITY
One of the Only Three Areas in the World to have the Integrated emergency Response System 911 as Top 25 Best Practices in the Philippines.
Davao City is one of only three areas in world, after the United States and Canada to have the Integrated Emergency Response System 911, a fully computerized response system linking the people of the city to the emergency resources of the government.
Davao City received an award for its Project 911 from the League of Cities in the Philippines in 2003, as one of the Top 25 Best Practices in the Philippines.
- TOP DESTINATION OF THE YEAR, Kalakbay Awards (1997)
- CLEANEST AND GREENEST HIGHLY-URBANIZED CITY IN THE PHILIPPINES
Davao City received an award of excellence from the Office of the President as the 1st Runner-up in the Cleanest and Greenest Highly-Urbanized City in the Philippines-Gawad Pangulo sa Kapaligiran Awards 2004, and the second runner up for three consecutive years in 2001-2003.
- CLEANEST AND GREENEST CITY IN 1999
Davao City was awarded the Cleanest and Greenest City in 1999 for its clean and green program that focus on environmental rehabilitation, protection and conservation, intensification of solid waste management program, pollution control, re-greening of the urban areas, forest and watershed management.
- MOST CHILD-FRIENDLY CITY IN THE PHILIPPINES
Davao City came out as the runaway choice for the coveted spot in the first-ever selection of the Most Child-Friendly City in the Philippines in 1988 and 1999 due to its local government’s programs and initiatives directly benefiting the children.
It has also won nods for the initiative to pass a landmark legislation – the Davao City Children’s Welfare Code of 1994, the first of its kind in the country, specifically geared towards addressing the rights, services and protection of children, therefore upholding their welfare and interests in high regard.
- MOST COMPETITIVE CITY TO DO BUSINESS IN THE PHILIPPINES
In 2002, Davao City was recognized as the Most Competitive City to do Business in the Philippines by the Asian Institute of Management (AIM) Policy Center and the Department of Trade and Industry in their assessment of Philippine Cities Competitiveness. In 2003, Davao was also chosen 3rd Most Competitive Metro City in the Philippine Cities Competitiveness ranking.
- MOST GENDER RESPONSIVE LGU IN THE PHILIPPINES
Gawad Galing Pook 2004 Awardee
National Commission on the Rights for Women (NCRFW) Award for Gender Responsive Local Governance 2005
- HALL OF FAME, BEST PEACE AND ORDER COUNCIL IN THE PHILIPPINES
The National Peace and Order Council of the National Police Commission placed Davao City in the Hall of Fame in 2004 for winning Best Peace and Order Council in Region XI for three consecutive years (1999-2002). It is recognition of Davao City’s sustained and exemplary accomplishments in implementing programs and projects of the Peace and Order Councils (POC’S) at various levels.
- MOST OUTSTANDING LGU: Regional Literacy Awards and 2nd Place in the 2005 National Literacy Awards
The Department of Education hailed Davao City as the “Most Outstanding Local Government Unit in the 2005 National Literacy Awards”, all under the Highly Urbanized City Category.
- REGIONAL GREEN BANNER AWARDEE
The National Nutrition Council of the Department of Agriculture awarded Davao City the “2004 Regional Green Banner” in recognition of the City Nutrition Committee’s exemplary performance in managing the nutrition program of the city, thereby contributing to the improvement of the nutritional status of its constituents.
- TOP GOVERNMENT WITHHOLDING AGENT
The Department of Finance, Bureau of Internal Revenue, Revenue Region 19, Revenue District No. 113, Davao City recognized the City Government for its invaluable support and contribution to RDO 113 as the “Top Government Withholding Agent” by making substantial tax payment – an act of patriotism worthy of recognition and commendation.
- TOP TOURIST DESTINATION IN THE PHILIPPINES
Davao City was chosen “Destination of the Year” by the Kalakbay Awards in 1997.
- MOST OUTSTANDING CHAMBER OF COMMERCE IN THE PHILIPPINES AND IN ASIA PACIFIC REGION
The Davao City Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc. (DCCII) was bestowed the “Most Outstanding Chamber Award for 2005” . DCCII was likewise recognized as the “Best Chamber in the Asia-Pacific Region” during a selection held in New Delhi in 2005.
- MOST OUTSTANDING KBP CHAPTER IN THE PHILIPPINES
The Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas acknowledged its Davao City local chapter as the “Best KBP Chapter for 2004.” It was once again given recognition for winning “2nd Place for the Best Local Chapter Report.”
- CLEANEST AIR IN THE WORLD-MEMBER OF THE CLEAN CITIES COALITION
In 2005, Davao City was launched as the second pilot area of the Clean Cities Program (CCP) implemented by the Sustainable Energy Development Program (SEDP), in partnership with the US Department of Energy (USDOE) and the US Agency for International Development (USAID).